April 03, 2006

Field Trip

I got to be a driver for my DD's field trip to the Fire Dept. I had to take DD#2 and DS with me. The kids got to watch a fire safety movie and tour the fire house to see where the fire fighters eat and sleep. And then they got to see the fire trucks and go inside for a minute.

DD#1 had a good time but poor Rhi was scared. One of the firemen put on all his gear O2 mask and all and that was a tad too much. But it was good that they did that and told the kids that this guy was there to help him and not to run away from him or be scared. I never thought of that, that during an emergency the kids are stressed enough and to see a big dude in a mask would just seem like a big monster.

So, do you guys have a plan in casr of fire? This has really made me think. We don't have a fire plan/drill but I am planning on making one and practicing soon. And posting all the emergency numbers by the phones.

The kids' bedrooms are on the 2nd story and there's only 1 door to the livingroom. If there's a fire in the kitchen the kids might have to jump out of their windows!! So I have heard of ladders or blow-up slides that you can attach to the windowsill so they don't jump and kill themselves, KWIM? So I will go look that up and let you know what I find.

Anyway, here's a few parting shots of my kids and DD#1's friends. TTFN


1 comment:

Pamela Foreman said...

This seems to be the time of year to visit the fire station! I went with my kids too! Glad you had fun!